Speaking For Fatuma in Mombasa; October 2015 @FatumasVoice

We stood huddled on the men’s side, waiting patiently for the ferry to cross the ocean. The sun screamed its lungs out vehemently, hard to tell rain had angrily fallen an hour before in that 11am searing heat.

Chris Mukasa, Nuru Bahati Shukrani, Ryan, our photographer and I had just completed breakfast at the Young Women’s Christian Association – YWCA Kenya, Likoni Branch, and were gearing up for an easy afternoon at the Mombasa Beach, a day after the first session of Fatuma’s Voice Mombasa. Here, a blind woman shook the coins in her borrowing plate, guiding herself with a rod, and in that silence, a man blowed our national anthem tune from something that sounded like a tube. As he went line by line, it felt as if the tune questioned us,

”Are you here?

Are you listening to the cries of your country?”

My mind traveled back to the previous day’s heated conversations on where men are. How we ran out of space. How people kept streaming in as late as 7pm when the event was almost done but still willed to pay for the few minutes they were there. How both men and women engaged in thoughtful exchanges. The music. The poetry. The clapping and applauding. The faces of mothers who had come with their children. It was unbelievable.

Gates opened. People moved into the huge vessel. I’m told it carries upto 2000 and about 60 cars when full, but thank God it was a Sunday. We didn’t have to go through the menace that’s there on weekdays. The ocean was still, like the face of Nairobi town on a Sunday morning. And the voice of Aretha Franklin visited me quietly. Her song ”A Summer Place”. Bliss knows how to play.

On the other side, matatus and tuktuks stood in wait.

”Kilifi! Malindi! Kilifi! Malindi!

The mention of Malindi always gives me jitters. Sophia. Domitila. Vasco Da Gama. Malindi Beach. December 2004.

Kasichana Riziki Mumba‘s uncle Jimmy had hosted us for breakfast on the day of our arrival. Such warm people. A godly home. We were heading there to lay our luggages before leaving for a photoshoot by the shores.

It was overwhelming the support we got from the Mombasa people. They had waited a long time for Fatuma’s Voice. And indeed, the turn up proved it. These things touch me. People coming together for meaningful purpose. It’s the fellowship God requires of us – to gather to enrich ourselves by speaking to each other, ironing out issues that trouble community. It was amazing to see them, both young and old, voicing their minds out. Two years of running this forum has taught me that people are usually willing to say what they think if only they are given a chance. But many of us are never given that opportunity, to even contribute to the well being of situations in our family or society settings out of cultural misconceptions and sometimes religious differences.

I thought about many things when we got to the beach. Nuru, KasichanaChris and I kept conversing sometimes together, sometimes in pairs. I wondered how interdependent human beings were created. Like we can never really be okay without people around us.

I’m recovering from mild anaemia and amoeba. Doctor said I need to slow down my life because I push my body too hard yet not eating enough and not resting at all. It took me to the deception that work can sometimes be. How indeed there is a satisfaction that comes with things getting done well but if work is your everything, there is a part of you that will not be at peace. Some of us use work as escapism from loneliness or pain. I think I did that at some point this year but never anticipated that it would affect me this much. A good life is balanced.

The pressure to perform affects our belief systems, our relationships and philosophies. We need people to talk to about nothing, more regularly, about our spirituality; to lay off our stresses and pains, to wash away our sorrows. So I have resorted to slowing things down, to speak more to my friends, to rest and to create more time for prayer and meditating, regardless of the many responsibilities I am in charge of, because really, when my body’s down, there is only so much I can do. This has helped me think more clearly over certain important things.

But there is a lot we misinterpret in our attempt to create a life for ourselves, albeit selfishly. The way I think it is also selfish to expect love without opening up.

I came to understand that all the knowledge you gather and information you feed do not mean a thing if they don’t help you to live with others. Your mind just becomes an inflated balloon. I pray that even as I give my heart in serving at Fatuma’s Voice, the way we help teach people on various things around their lives, so shall they teach me about mine.

GALLERY:

12095004_456110477926045_4776333496409503112_o

12141119_456111201259306_8821855378687995323_o

12139918_456125004591259_7414540569636025059_o

11231109_456123044591455_5457143028103793772_o

12095300_456122177924875_2390802880380450995_o

12095286_456121261258300_3804393587596569588_o

12138382_456111371259289_5013802005277497134_o

More photos: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.456108721259554.1073741889.212487138955048&type=3

Post Author: rixpoet

14 thoughts on “Speaking For Fatuma in Mombasa; October 2015 @FatumasVoice

• gamefly

(May 3, 2019 - 3:20 am)

I was recommended this web site by means of my cousin. I’m no longer positive whether this post is written by him
    as no one else understand such targeted about my trouble.
    You’re incredible! Thanks!

• gamefly free trial

(May 5, 2019 - 7:36 am)

whoah this weblog is fantastic i love studying your posts.
    Stay up the great work! You recognize, lots of persons
    are looking around for this information, you could help them greatly.

• download minecraft free

(May 7, 2019 - 2:30 pm)

It’s hard to find educated people in this particular subject, but you sound like you know what you’re
    talking about! Thanks

• free minecraft download

(May 8, 2019 - 7:36 pm)

My developer is trying to persuade me to move to
    .net from PHP. I have always disliked the idea because of the costs.
    But he’s tryiong none the less. I’ve been using WordPress
    on numerous websites for about a year and am nervous about switching to another platform.
    I have heard great things about blogengine.net. Is there a way
    I can import all my wordpress posts into it? Any kind
    of help would be greatly appreciated!

• minecraft download pc

(May 10, 2019 - 12:49 am)

Thank you for any other informative site. The place else may I get that type of information written in such an ideal way?
    I’ve a challenge that I’m simply now operating on,
    and I’ve been on the glance out for such information.

• how to download minecraft free

(May 12, 2019 - 1:52 am)

Hello there! This is my 1st comment here so I just
    wanted to give a quick shout out and say I really enjoy reading through your posts.
    Can you suggest any other blogs/websites/forums
    that cover the same topics? Thanks a ton!

• g

(May 12, 2019 - 8:36 am)

I do trust all the ideas you have presented in your
    post. They are very convincing and can certainly work.
    Still, the posts are too short for newbies. May just you please
    lengthen them a bit from subsequent time? Thanks for the post.

• g

(May 12, 2019 - 3:09 pm)

Magnificent goods from you, man. I have understand
    your stuff previous to and you’re just extremely excellent.
    I really like what you have acquired here, certainly like what you are stating and the
    way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it smart.
    I cant wait to read much more from you. This is actually a
    wonderful website.

• g

(May 12, 2019 - 8:32 pm)

This design is steller! You certainly know how to keep a reader amused.
    Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved
    to start my own blog (well, almost…HaHa!) Excellent job.
    I really enjoyed what you had to say, and more than that, how you presented it.
    Too cool!

• g

(May 14, 2019 - 1:50 am)

I want to to thank you for this wonderful read!!

I certainly enjoyed every little bit of it. I have you book-marked to look
    at new stuff you post…

• free minecraft download

(May 14, 2019 - 2:38 am)

I have been surfing on-line more than three hours as of late, but I never found any fascinating article like yours.

It’s pretty price enough for me. In my view, if all web owners and bloggers made excellent content material as you probably
    did, the internet might be a lot more helpful than ever
    before.

• free minecraft download

(May 15, 2019 - 12:06 pm)

Thanks , I have recently been looking for information approximately this subject for a long time and yours is the best I’ve discovered till now.
    But, what about the conclusion? Are you sure concerning the source?

• download minecraft free

(May 15, 2019 - 8:18 pm)

I blog quite often and I really appreciate your information. Your
    article has truly peaked my interest. I will take a note
    of your site and keep checking for new details about once a week.

I subscribed to your Feed too.

• minecraft free download

(May 17, 2019 - 2:09 pm)

Good response in return of this matter with real arguments and describing all about that.